Memory foam is a well-known mattress material for a reason; a large percentage of sleepers seem to either like memory foam or not mind the feel. We also know some huge memory foam bed fanatics out there who can’t get enough of the stuff. Whatever your position is on it, the beds on this list are what we consider top-of-the-line and incredibly great mattress choices for a wide range of sleepers.
For those of you asking, what does memory foam feel like? While some types feel dense and others are lighter, all memory foam is typically slow to respond to pressure and conforms around your body, leaving you feeling nestled and cozy. You’ll also be happy to hear that most newer memory foam beds have some type of temperature regulating system in place to ensure it doesn’t retain body heat like older types of foam were known to do. In this guide, we’ll reveal our favorite choices, in no particular order, for the best memory foam mattress and provide some context around what makes these beds so great.
Top 8 Memory Foam Mattresses
- Most Comfortable Memory Foam Mattress :Nectar Premier MattressStarting at $1297 Shop Now
- Best Memory Foam Hybrid Mattress :Layla HybridStarting at $1299 Shop Now
- Best Soft Memory Foam Mattress :Amerisleep AS4Starting at $1649 Shop Now
- Best Firm Memory Foam Mattress :Loom LeafStarting at $989 Shop Now
- Best Budget Memory Foam Mattress :Bear MattressStarting at $748 Shop Now
- Best Luxury Memory Foam Mattress :WinkBeds GravityLuxStarting at $1099 Shop Now
- Best Memory Foam Mattress for Heavy People :DreamCloud PremierStarting at $1398 Shop Now
- Best Cooling Memory Foam Mattress :Cocoon by Sealy ChillStarting at $769 Shop Now
Memory Foam Mattress Review Video
Swipe To See Why We Chose These Mattresses
Swipe To See Why We Chose These Mattresses
Why These Beds Made Our List
First, it’s important to note that we run a mattress review YouTube channel and website, so as you can imagine we’ve tested pretty much all the best online beds out there. I bring this up so you don’t think we randomly put this list together based on specs (as a lot of other mattress sites do). We actually test these beds, which gives us a large depository of experiences and knowledge to draw from. In terms of criteria, we obviously only included beds that we deem as memory foam mattresses. We define this term as any bed that has a memory foam type feel. As such, you’ll see several different types of constructions on this list. For example, you’ll see hybrid mattresses than contain both coils and layers of memory foam and you’ll see all-foam beds that contain different kinds of foam, but they will all have a pressure relieving memory foam feel we think you’ll love.
Compare Best Memory Foam Mattresses
MOST COMFORTABLE MEMORY FOAM
Nectar could be the most popular memory foam mattress online. It’s affordable, comfortable, and usually comes with free pillows. They also have monthly payment options with Affirm.
Why Nectar Premier wins as most comfortable memory foam mattress
The Nectar Premier mattress is an upper-level model from the Nectar brand, and it’s one of the comfiest memory foam beds we’ve tested for a number of reasons. For one, we love how thick and supportive it is. Even though it’s only made with foam, it’s 13” thick, making it thicker and more durable than a majority of foam beds online.
Nectar’s best features
- The top layer is made with a special copper-infused memory foam. It’s supposed to draw heat away from you and the center of your bed, where most heat is retained.
- The Nectar Premier mattress has a dense, deep memory foam feel which takes a few seconds to warm up to your body. Once it does, the foam will bend and contour against the curves of your body.
- Nectar offers another Premier option: Premier Copper. We rated both Nectar Premier and Nectar Premier Copper around a hair firmer than medium. The Premier Copper is for especially hot sleepers.
Why we picked this bed
We think that the Nectar Premier feels like a comforting hug or a cuddle from an S.O. The feel is very similar to the premium TempurPedic mattress, which is one of the more popular memory foam beds you can buy. It is perfect if you are looking for a premium memory foam mattress (such as TempurPedic) but for a lower, more wallet-friendly price.
BEST MEMORY FOAM HYBRID MATTRESS
Why Layla Hyrbid wins at best memory foam hybrid mattress
Between all-foam and hybrid mattresses, hybrid beds tend to be more supportive and durable because they boast tough steel coil bases rather than foam. The Layla Hybrid mattress lives up to this expectation and includes a few other notable features that make it an incredibly accommodating memory foam mattress. Not only is this mattress a hybrid, but it’s a flippable hybrid.
Layla’s best features
- Each side comes with a different firmness level, so you have the chance to choose which firmness level you like most. In our opinion, the “Soft” side lands around a medium-soft on the firmness scale. As such, it’s a soft mattress that’s excellent for people that want pressure relief.
- The Firm side lands somewhere in between a medium and medium-firm on the scale. Given it’s quite a bit firmer, we see this side being best for back and stomach sleepers who require a little extra support.
- It’s also a reasonably affordable mattress that sells exclusively online. You get free shipping and a trial period, and since it’s a bed-in-a-box mattress, it also comes with completely free returns if it’s not exactly what you were hoping for.
Why we picked this bed
We love Layla’s versatility, and this makes it accommodating for almost any sleeping position. We also love the different foams inside the bed. It includes a zoned support layer for targeted support and pressure relief, while the top layer is copper-infused for improved temperature regulation. They really paid attention to detail when designing this bed, and we think it deserves its kudos.
BEST SOFT MEMORY FOAM MATTRESS
AS4 is a medium-soft mattress that has a responsive memory foam feel. The AS5 model is the softest, plushest mattress of the Amerisleep series.
Why Amerisleep AS4 wins at best soft memory foam mattress
You don’t want any typical memory foam mattress. You want one that feels like you’re jumping into a giant fluffy cloud at the end of your day. If this sounds familiar, we think you will like the AS4 or AS5 mattresses from Amerisleep. Amerisleep has five different firmness options to choose from, but AS4 and AS5 are the softest within the catalog.
Amerisleep’s best feature
- Amerisleep offers five different beds that vary in firmness, thickness, and price, and all of them have gel-infused memory foam (which they call “BioPure”).
- They are ultra pressure relieving beds that feel dense and contouring. Especially the AS5 model. It’s a similar feel to the Nectar mattress, just with a way softer profile.
- As such, we think these beds will work best for side sleepers. If you weigh less than 150 lbs, you might like the AS5 most.
Why we picked this bed
Amerisleep’s AS4 and AS5 models offer sleepers a great deal of comfort, pressure relief, and plushness. And the AS4 and AS5 get better: they have machine-washable covers. In the event you spill your coffee in bed or leave a drool mark after a hard sleep, you can easily remove the cover and throw it into the washing machine.
BEST FIRM MEMORY FOAM MATTRESS
Why Loom & Leaf wins at best firm memory foam mattress
There are two “Comfort Levels” with Loom & Leaf. The most popular is the Relaxed Firm, which is about a medium-firm and is best for back, stomach, and combination sleepers. Though, heavier side sleepers will also be just fine on this bed. The Firm model is quite firm and is really only designed for back and stomach sleepers who typically gravitate toward firmer mattresses.
Loom & Leaf’s best features
- Loom and Leaf happens to be a thicker, hefty all-foam bed, which means that it’s a viable option for larger individuals.
- Feels bouncy and responsive, while the pillow top gives it a light and fluffy feel.
- Perhaps the most unique thing about Loom & Leaf, though, is that there is a special strip for temperature regulation purposes in the center third of the bed on top of the gel memory foam. It won’t make you cold, but it does a nice job of preventing you from heating up excessively.
- It’s a luxury mattress from the premium mattress brand Saatva. It also looks as nice as it feels.
Why we picked this bed
The short story on Loom & Leaf is that it’s an attainable luxury mattress that comes with multiple added benefits. It’s definitely not a bottom-dollar bed per se, but Saatva—the company behind Loom & Leaf—has taken a value approach. In other words, no, it’s not the cheapest bed you can get, but it’s one of the nicest you can get, and the MSRP isn’t crazy. It’s one of the best-rated firm mattresses online.
BEST BUDGET MEMORY FOAM MATTRESS
Why Bear wins at best budget memory foam mattress
Bear is an all-foam mattress in a box that totals 10″ thick and comes with both gel memory foam and a Celliant cover. That said, the real star of the show is the price tag, which is why we consider it one of the best mattresses for the money. Last we checked, Bear was selling the queen mattress for around $800 pre-discount, which is just amazing.
Bear’s best features
- In terms of firmness, we rate Bear as a medium-firm mattress, or slightly softer. Due to this, we think it’s best for back, stomach, combination, and most side sleepers. Strict side sleepers who want a particularly soft bed might want to try the Layla mattress above!
- Its celliant-infused cover helps boost blood circulation and is recognized by the FDA as an official medical device. It’s meant to help improve sleep, promote your body’s natural recovery process, and leave you feeling energized in the morning. Not many beds come with this feature.
- It has a dense/viscous feel that’s typically associated with memory foam.
- The Bear Mattress is best for petite people, along with those with average body types. Given it’s a foam mattress that is only 10″ thick, heavier folks (250 lb+) would be better off with a bed that contains coils for added support—such as Bear Hybrid.
Why we picked this bed
We chose Bear for our best memory foam beds list because we don’t think there are many beds that are a better value for your money. It’s a nice memory foam bed with a special Celliant-infused cover that you can’t find in many other places. If you’re a runner or an athlete, we especially think you’ll love this mattress.
Best Luxury Memory Foam Mattress
Why WinkBed wins at best luxury memory foam mattress
WinkBed is known for its heavy-duty products, as they rigorously test their mattresses to ensure they’re durable under higher body weights. Their GravityLux mattress is their premium memory foam option which comes with a fluffy pillow-top for additional comfort. All in all, this bed is stacked with four layers, measuring out to be a whopping 12” thick.
WinkBed’s best features
- WinkBed is offered in three different firmness profiles, making it suitable for all sleeper types, including back, side, stomach, and combination.
- The mattress utilizes a pocketed coil support layer, and as a result, there is a mattress for every body type. It’s especially great for sleepers over 230 lbs.
- Even though WinkBed GravityLux is a mattress you’d find in a fancy hotel, it’s not nearly as expensive as we thought it would be. A queen size retails around $1,600, but we’ve seen them offer discounts as high as $300, which is quite honestly a steal.
Why we chose this bed
If you value premium products but don’t have the cash to spend thousands on a nice memory foam mattress, WinkBed GravityLux is an excellent choice. It’s built to be supportive and long-lasting, but it’s priced very reasonably. It’s also super comfortable and plush but comes in a range of different firmness options for all sleeper types. We really appreciate how accommodating it is and how it offers that memory foam feel you know and love, just with a little extra fluff.
BEST MEMORY FOAM FOR HEAVY PEOPLE
Why DreamCloud Premier wins as best memory foam for heavy people
The DreamCloud Premier mattress is a premium, hybrid bed that is composed of several different layers. The bed uses an 8.5″ pocketed coil support system, in addition to various layers of poly foam and memory foam.
Due to the coils, firmness, and overall thickness of the bed, the DreamCloud is a great option for heavier folks (250+ lb). The bed provides more than enough support for these body types. In fact, DreamCloud even made our list for the Best Mattresses For Heavy People.
DreamCloud Premier’s best features
- In terms of firmness, we’d rate DreamCloud as a medium to medium-firm on the firmness scale. We think it’s a comfortable mattress for all sleeping positions, especially back and stomach.
- DreamCloud is fairly cost-effective, considering all you get. You can typically purchase a queen size for around $1,000 (after discount). If you walked into your local mattress store asking for a similar mattress, the MSRP would likely be much higher.
- This is a luxury mattress; it looks and feels very premium. With that said, we think it offers a great value.
Why we picked this bed
Instead of a traditional sink-in memory foam feel, the bed actually has more of a memory foam feel with a pillow topper touch (and some bounce). You sleep more on top of the bed rather than in it. Don’t get us wrong, the bed is still soft-to-the-touch and comfortable, but the Euro-top and layer of memory foam don’t conform to your body all that much. Our teammate’s sister has been sleeping on a DreamCloud mattress for over a year now and absolutely loves it.
BEST COOLING MEMORY FOAM MATTRESS
Cocoon by Sealy offers a Cocoon Chill model that specializes in reducing the body heat that traditional memory foam beds retain. It is for memory foam lovers who don’t want to spend the money on more expensive mattresses like TempurPedic.
Why Cocoon Chill wins at best cooling mattress
One of the top complaints sleepers have about memory foam is how badly they can retain body heat. If you’ve ever slept on an old memory foam mattress, you probably know what we’re talking about. For Cocoon Chill, on the other hand, the name really doesn’t lie. It’s a physically cold memory foam mattress that won’t cost an arm and a leg to sleep on (like other high-tech cooling beds).
Cocoon Chill’s best features
- Available in both all-foam and hybrid constructions, the Cocoon Chill mattress is three layers thick and incorporates a phase-change cooling cover.
- The cover is responsible for the bed’s awesome cooling capabilities, and you can immediately feel the cooling sensation up against your body when you lay down on it.
- Sheets will neutralize the cooling feel a little, but the cooling cover is still really effective and keeps your temperature down at a comfortable temp.
Why we picked this mattress
Aside from being a cooling mattress for hot sleepers, it’s rated in between a medium and medium-firm. It’s best for most sleeper positions unless you’re a particularly petite sleeper in the market for an extra-plush mattress. On top of its cooling capabilities, the mattress is also reasonably priced. We would have expected Cocoon Chill to be more expensive, but a queen size only retails for around $1,080 before discounts.
How We Select The Best Mattresses
- My Slumber Yard
Slumber Yard has been around since the beginning of the bed in a box craze. Our team has personally tested and reviewed over 175 mattresses so far, and we keep more than 150 beds in our office so we can compare them (and take afternoon naps).
When testing mattresses, we evaluate the following factors:
- Construction: We cut beds open to see what’s inside and how it’s made.
- Feel: We check if it has a stuck-in-the-mud memory foam feel, or if it’s more of a neutral foam or a plush pillow top, etc.
- Firmness: We have our own firmness scale and evaluate how that may vary depending on your body and sleeper type.
- Pressure relief: We test what’s the sweet spot for different body and sleeper types.
- Edge Support: This is important for couples who share a bed. Would you roll-out of the bed, or can you sleep confidently close to the edges?
- Motion Isolation: We use the water glass test to see how the bed fares with motion transfer. This is another important factor for couples that don’t want to wake up one another when they move.
- Temperature Regulation: We use a temperature gun to evaluate if the bed warms up, stays neutral or actively cools while you sleep.
- Noise: This could be an issue in beds with coils or innerspring.
- Off-Gassing: Some beds could have a smell for a few weeks after unpacking, and we try to warn you about it.
- Company policies: We also take into account policies such as shipping, returns, trial period, and warranty.
- Value: We look at a bed’s price in the context of what it offers in terms of features and quality of materials and construction.
How to Find the Best Memory Foam Mattress
Take into account sleeping positions
The Amerisleep Mattress is offered in “Soft,” “Medium,” and “Firm,” with the additional option of an all-foam or hybrid construction. Accordingly, this makes it a suitable option for side sleepers of all sizes. Petite side sleepers can choose a softer profile to ensure they receive a proper amount of pressure relief, while side sleepers who weigh more than 230 lbs can opt for the “Medium” option if they want a mattress with a bit more support.
Back and stomach sleepers
As one of the firmer memory foam mattresses we reviewed, the Loom & Leaf mattress is a great option for back sleepers. It is offered in “Relaxed Firm” and “Firm,” and while their Relaxed Firm model is suitable for many sleeping positions, the Firm is a great option for back or stomach sleepers. Generally speaking, the firmer a mattress is, the more support it’s going to offer. If you have back pain, look for high-quality memory foam contours around the body, relieves pressure, and helps ease back pain.
Take into account temperature
Memory foam is very sensitive to temperature. The same bed can feel quite different depending on your surrounding environment. For brevity’s sake, the warmer the room, the more memory foam will sink in. Conversely, the colder the room, the firmer memory foam will feel.
We don’t want to get too far into the weeds, but as temperatures rise, viscosity is reduced. For those of you who are new to the term viscosity, all it refers to is the degree of fluidity. Materials and objects with low viscosity behave more fluidly. Memory foam is engineered with visco-elastic polymers, which is why it’s so sensitive to changes in temperatures.
Memory Foam vs. Non-Traditional Foams
|Memory Foam||-One of the most popular types of materials because it’s widely considered cozy|
-The material cradles and hugs your body when you settle in
-Provides ample pressure relief
-Great for motion isolation
-It tends to feel softer in the warmer months and firmer in the colder months
|Gel memory foam||-It’s basically the same thing as memory foam, but it is more efficient in temperature regulation|
-It has microbeads or a gel slab, which actively try to regulate your temperature
-Great for motion isolation
|-Although it’s better than standard memory foam, it is not the best material for airflow|
|Proprietary Foam||-These foams are becoming increasingly popular among bed-in-a-box brands|
-They will vary per brand, but they usually make an effort to help regulate temperature
|-The feel and other benefits vary by brand|
-Brings something unique to the table
|Poly Foam||-This is the material used on most of the original online mattresses|
-Polyurethane foam has a neutral feelIt will typically be responsive
-Good pressure relief
-Great for motion isolation
-Less durable than other materials
-Can be cheap in quality
|Latex Foam||-Natural latex foam is an eco-friendly material—a lot of latex mattresses end up on our list of the best natural/organic beds|
-Latex tends to have better responsiveness than does memory foam
-Hypoallergenic and antimicrobial
-Latex foams are airy and, therefore, more breathable
-In most cases, latex foam beds are more expensive than memory foam beds
They don’t have to be! In fact, many of the memory foam beds that we’ve reviewed are really affordable. Most beds online will be about $1,000 or less for the queen size.
The average memory foam mattress will last around eight to 10 years with proper care.
This depends on your personal needs when it comes to sleep style, temperature regulation, quality, motion transfer, etc.
Amazon memory foam mattress best sellers include Lucid and Casper.
For many people, yes. If you seek back pain or pressure relief and limited motion transfer, a memory foam mattress may be the right choice for you.
Select a gel-infused memory foam or a hybrid mattress. You can also add a mattress topper to help dissipate heat, and also moisture-wicking sheets.
Why Trust Us
Get the kind of sleep you’ve only dreamed of with some help from our team of mattress experts. We personally test more than 175 of the best sleep solutions from over 60 leading brands on site, so you can be sure you’re getting unbiased reviews, fair comparisons and personalized recommendations.
The Review Team